Successful Self-Dentistry in Six Steps
You may have been brushing your teeth the same way for ten, twenty, forty or eighty years. If so, it’s time to breath freshness into your oral care routine! When you follow the Successful Self-Dentistry protocol every day, you will be amazed at how effective it is at preventing decay, gum bleeding, inflammation, and even the onset of colds.
Ideally, these steps are completed morning and night, because plaque begins to rebuild within six hours of brushing. If you don’t have time to use the protocol twice a day, do it once a day or at the very least 5 times a week. NEVER use regular toothpaste again, it is highly toxic – I would recommend natural “Kingfisher toothpaste” and/or aluminium free bicarb of soda with a drop of peppermint oil.
- Keep a saltwater solution where you brush your teeth. Add a drop of an essential oil ie peppermint oil. Start with a saltwater rinse before brushing. Salt eliminates microbes and makes the pH of the mouth alkaline, creating a neutral environment for brushing. Get a jar with a tightly fitting lid and a shot glass for each member of your family. Mix one ounce of salt water and sixteen ounces of hot – almost boiling – spring water. The hot water activates and dissolves the salt into brine. You can then add a drop of essential oil.
- Scrape the tongue two or three times. The coating of the tongue is home to many microbes and mucus that migrate up from the alimentary canal, especially at night. Scraping the tongue gently removes the coating, improving your overall oral health. You can buy a tongue scraper at most health food stores or you can use the edge of a spoon.
- Brush the gums gently with a soft, dry brush and apply a tiny drop of an essential oil ie peppermint oil. Always brush the gums toward the teeth using an extra light touch over the gum line on the upper teeth (the union of teeth and gums) and upward on the bottom teeth. Brush as gently as you can.
- Polish the teeth with a dry round-headed electric toothbrush. Add a drop of essential oil with equal amounts of salt and aluminium free bicarb of soda on to the toothbrush. This step ensures that any left-over plaque as well as any staining is removed, while also giving you smooth, slippery teeth.
- Floss! Apply a drop of peppermint or an essential oil of your choice to the floss before flossing. Pull off a long strand of floss. Put a single drop of essential oil on your index finger, and run the floss between your thumb and index finger to coat it with the oil. Wind the floss around your fingers and slide it in between your teeth, up and down, back and forth. Take care to move the floss in the interstices and around the necks of the teeth where food and plaque build-up. Be gentle.
- Use a salt rinse. Vigorously swish, and then spit. The salt water and essential oil will coat your entire mouth, discouraging the growth of bacteria and nurturing the tissue.
Written by Laurelle Burgham of Juicing On Fire